I have pulling on my retina from a floater .

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have pulling on my retina from a floater. Straight lines are bowed. Can anything be done about it?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are treatment to prevent further damage, unfortunately there is no treatment that restores the already lost vision

Detailed Answer:

Very likely what you are having what is called "retinal detachment", this is when a part of the retina is detached from the other layers underneath it.

Retinal detachment is a medical emergency, it means you have to see the doctor as soon as possible when you notice problems or worsening of vision. Treatment consists in sealing and fixing the already teared retina to prevent progression of the tear in the areas close to the tear.
The damage of the vision that has already occurred, unfortunately there is no treatment that can help restore it but treatment focuses in preventing further loss of vision.

Treatment depends on the type of the retinal detachment but generally the possible treatments are:
- sealing the retinal tear or hole by laser therapy or cryotherapy
- scleral buckling which indents the mail layer around the eye (sclera) and push the retina inward
- sometimes the doctor might inject gas in the eye (pneumatic retinopexy) which will also help push the retina inward and not allow the tear to expand.
- surgical approach which remove the vitreous (the thick fluid in front of the retina and prevent it pulling on the retina). This is called vitrectomy.

Which treatment is the best for each patient depends on the patient and individualized treatment should be done. This depends on the type of the retinal detachment, cause and location.

To conclude:
- there are treatments available that focus in stabilizing the retina and preventing further damage and vision loss
- there are several options how the doctor can reach this as explained above and the doctor has to individualize the treatment and decide which treatment is the best choice in your case.
- unfortunately there is no treatment available that can restore the lost vision but timely treatment is crucial to prevent further loss.

I hope this answers to your question but please feel free to let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its a pleasure

Detailed Answer:

Its a pleasure to be able to help you.

Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

I wish you good health and take care.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj
General & Family Physican