I have poor concentration and motivation I checked the lithium

Dr. Soujanya

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: I have poor concentration and motivation
I checked the lithium blood test and it seems the level is low (< 0.2 mmol/L). please advice it is associated with bipolar disorder.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My suggestion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir,
Welcome to ask a doctor service,

I have gone through your query in detail and can understand that you are taking some medications including lithium.

So, may I know some details about your symptoms and the medications and since how long you are taking those medications.

As the serum levels mainly depends on duration of treatment and type of drug and dosage.

Hope this information would help you.
Please provide more details.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

First of all I am not talking lithium as medicine.

I just done the blood test for lithium whereas i found the level is low. Coming to the problem i have poor concentration and focus, easily deviated and postponing the things and not productive.
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 8 hours later
Hi doctor,

In simple i wanted to know, the low level of lithium in blood serum is associated with bipolar disorder.
Answered by Dr. Soujanya 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, it is not associated with bipolar disorder.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Actually, low serum levels are not associated with bipolar disorder

But, lack of concentration, easy distractibility could be either due to depression or bipolar problem.

So, I advise you can start an antidepressant along with mood stabilizers.

I can advise you olanzapine and fluoxetine combination along with mood stabilizer like sodium valproate.

Hope this information would help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Soujanya 23 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply.

Meanwhile I have physically examined by psychiatrist and confirmed there is no bipolar disorder symptoms with me. However, for focusing and concentration he has prescribed modafinil 100mg and SSRI (fluoxetine 20mg). Right now, I am suffering from cold hence is it safer to take medicines like amoxicillin and cough syrup along with the above said medicines.

Apart from this, I have few queries.
1) is it safer to drive a bike after taking modafinil and SSRI.
2) How long period should i take these medicines, it their way to stop the medicine or take only whenever necessary ?
3) Taking modafinil will have very slight headache

Answered by Dr. Soujanya 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
My suggestion.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

I have gone through your follow up query and can understand your concern regarding madafinil.

Nothing to worry about cold, you can take modafinil safely even while driving which actually activates your brain and alerts you.

Little bit of headache might be there as side effect initially, but it gets adjusted.

Hope this information would help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D