I have pain inside my stomach. high and just under

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have pain inside my stomach. high and just under my last rib. left side. The pain was almost gone and then returned shortly after eating a hamburger cooked at home. This started two nights ago.
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gastritis, GERD most likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

Your symptoms are nonspecific, but these may be suggestive of gastritis, GERD or a hiatal hernia so you should do gastroscopy to evaluate it more accurately, but only if there won't be an improvement on some measures suggested below. Hamburger ma trigger gastritis or gallbladder attack and even pancreatitis.

This is caused by irritation of stomach mucosa by certain food or medications, stress, and smoking. SO firstly it should be treated with home remedies and changing dietary habits.

You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food. You should eat more milk products, vegetables, and boiled food. Also, certain antiacid medications may be required such as Pantoprazole or Ranitidine. In cases of severe pain, the diagnosis should be established with endoscopic tests which include gastroscopy or barium swallow test.

If fever, vomit and increasing pain occur, you should go to the hospital and do some urgent tests.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions you can contact us at every time.

Kind regards. Wish you a good health.
DR. Ivan Rommstein

Follow-up: I have pain inside my stomach. high and just under 44 minutes later
Thank you doctor.
I quit smoking six days ago and it has caused extreme anxiety. I will change my diet as recommended.
My wife has an over the counter bottle of Nexium for her hiatal hernia. Would this be effective for me?
Kind regards from me and all the best to you and yours. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, please follow

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Yes, if I am right then 40mg of Nexium once daily for few days should help.

You're welcome. Feel free to ask further questions.