question-icon

I have pain in my lower left abdomen with a

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2019
Question: I have pain in my lower left abdomen with a hard spot, passing gas is very painful no bowel movement
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
further evaluation needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Well, you've mentioned having medications for diverticulitis, as well as seen a doctor, could you kindly elaborate them a bit so that I can assist you better...

Please note, the hard spot needs to be examined promptly, as per your description (sharp left lower abdominal pain with a hard spot, "passing gas very painful, no bowel movement"), it could be an underlying intestinal obstruction...

At this outset, I'd not recommend anything per orally and suggest you visit the nearest ER at the earliest for prompt evaluation...they may also order a few sets of investigations (namely a Hemogram, Liver and kidney function tests, amylase, lipase and an Ultrasound Abdomen) to look into it further...

For the pain, if there's no nausea/vomiting, you may take a painkiller (eg. Acetaminophen/Tylenol 650mg with a sip of water)...However, I'd suggest not to wait any longer and get yourself checked out at the earliest...

Wish you good health...Let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist