I have numbness to extremities even a little on the
different possible causes
HI,thanks for using healthcare magic
Abnormal sensations such as numbness are commonly related to abnormal function of the nerves.
Persons may also experience sensations such as tingling or burning or sticking etc
It can be temporary or permanent and there are different possible causes and there are meds that can help in general, if a specific cause is found then this can be treated.
Some of the more common causes include: (1)diabetes- as mentioned above- a fasting and 2 hour post meal blood sugar would help to determine if this is present
(2)low vitamin b 12 and folate
(3)abnormal vit b6 level
(5)liver or kidney disease
(6)trauma eg arthritis of the spine or injury of the nerve along its path
(9)exposure to chemicals
(10)autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis
In some persons the cause is not found
Some meds that can help include amitriptyline, nortriptyline, tegretol, lyrica, cymbalta, gabapentin.
These meds are used for other conditions as well but have been found to be helpful with abnormal nerve function.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?