I have noticed an odd thing that s been happening

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have noticed an odd thing that's been happening occasionally for the past year. When I've had my eyes closed for a period of time and try to open them again, there is a hesitation in one eye at a time. Sometimes I physically open it with my fingers. It has occurred mostly with the left eye though it may have happened in the other one, I'm not sure. I haven't had any infections in my eye that would account for it. Most of the time it will open on its own, but at times there is a short hesitation and I consciously have to think about it for it to open. It just happens now and then. Most of the time I don't have a problem with it.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apraxia of lid opening.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

The inability to open your eyes and especially one is called apraxia of lid opening.
It is caused by an abnormal neuronal activity. In this case it is caused by inhibiton of levator palpebrae muscle.
You should do a MRI or CT scan to check the conditions of brain that may be causing it.
The only solution is botulinum toxin injections.

Hope I have answered the question. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T