I have neck pain that radiates from about C3-4 up
Occipital neuralgia to consider.
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.
I have read your query and here is my advice.
Since there is disc bulge at C3-C4, the C3 nerve root compression is part of occipital neuralgia, a condition characterized by symptoms such as these referred by you.
Treatment for this condition is, in most cases, conservative and includes warm procedures on neck, rest, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications and muscle relaxants.
Also anticonvulsant medications such as carbamazepine and gabapentin and percutaneous nerve blocks may help alleviate the pain.
Surgery is reserved for severe cases that are not controlled by conservative treatment.
Discuss with your Neurologist for these issues.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Okay for the epidural injection.
Sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein may be increased by arthritis, infections, etc. besides temporal arteritis.
I think that the epidural injection will serve as a diagnostic tool also; if there will be a significant improvement, occipital neuralgia is very likely the diagnosis.
Hope I helped you.
Feel free to discuss with me if you have further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?