question-icon

I Have Muscle Twitches In Ribcage And Legs. Pain In

Posted on Wed, 29 Aug 2018
Question: I have muscle twitches in ribcage and legs. Pain in muscles stiffness in hips and shoulders. I have generalized anxiety disorder and am somewhat of a hypochondriac. The last anxiety attack featured intense pain in ribcage alleviated by klonipin. I have no eye problems. Twitches began in abdomen...so much as if I were pregnant, which I'm not, started back on klonipin, abdominal twitches went away immediately, but now in legs in rib cage. Rib cage also aches. Hypochondriac worries about MS or ALS. Is there something we can talk about that will alleviate my anxiety on this issue? Is there a definitive ALS symptom? I know twitches go with everything. Help! I do have a psychiatrist, will start therapy for anxiety next week, but I'm worried literally ill about ALS. Help!!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Klonopin or xanax can be of help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that muscle twitches are part and parcel of anxiety disorders and current pattern indicates anxiety as the cause of problem. It is true that muscle twitches are present in ALS but they are usually persistent and does not respond to any form of medications including anti anxiety medications.

I also like to make it clear that muscle twitches are not a definitive sign of ALS and complete neurological examination is required for making a definitive diagnosis. Even as a neurologist we need at least two to three hours to examine the patient throughly and make a diagnosis of ALS.

Regarding the current issues I feel you can either use Klonopin or Xanax as both of these medications act fast in resolving anxiety symptoms including muscle twitches.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist