I have muscle and joint pain. Have been diagnosed with

Question
I have muscle and joint pain. Have been diagnosed with myalgia and take 80mg of duloxetine. But still suffer from pain, especially at night with interruption of sleep. I got here while researching the med diclofenec. Are there other melds, non opioids, that may help the pain?
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need rheumatologist opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, to start with alongwith duloxetine you can take OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. Diclofenac can also be helpful but for long term usage both renal and gastric saftey profile should be evaluated and antacids like omperazole may be needed alongside to avoid gastric side effects. Other potent analgesics like gabapentin can be used.

Though the cause work up should be continued alongwith regular follow up with a rheumatologist as myalgias are symptoms but are caused secondary to some other condition.
If it's polymyalgia rheumatica the control should be assessed by following the autoimmune profile and Inflammatory markers.

Other pain control medications like tramadol etc but may cause dependance. Supplements for calcium, D3, B12 and folic acid may also be beneficial.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards