question-icon

I have less congestion when lying down. Could this be

Posted on Wed, 27 Mar 2019
Question: I have less congestion when lying down. Could this be a phrenic issue? I am not having breathing issues, just congestion issue 2 1/2 weeks after the start of a cold.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No, it is not phrenic nerve related issue.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Ask a doctor forum.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of post infectious bronchitis is more likely.
It is inflammation of airways which is seen after common viral infection like cold.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment is based on severity only.
You may need inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS).
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist