I have leg cramps in the morning befor getting out

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have leg cramps in the morning befor getting out of bed.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are many causes of leg cramps

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There are many causes for leg cramps, including fluid and electrolyte disorders like dehydration (sometimes from medications that cause you to urine a lot), low potassium or magnesium in your blood, nerve problems, muscle strain, medications such as some inhalers and many others, blood vessel disease, and liver problems.

I would suggest that when you get the cramps, try to relax the muscle and gently stretch it. You can use a heating pad after stretching to help the muscle relax. I would make sure you are well hydrated and, if you still are getting the cramps, see your doctor and possibly get your blood checked for electrolyte deficiencies and have your medications looked at for a cause. Your doctor can also examine you for any neurological causes as well.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it further with you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D