I have intermittent pain in my eyes that responds partially

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I have intermittent pain in my eyes that responds partially to eyedrops but frequently returns. It usually occurs when I wake up.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see detalied answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to Ask A Doctor service. Thanks for using this app. I have read your question and here is my advice.
Causes of pain in eyes are numerous and more detaled history is needed like for how long is the pain , and is there any trauma to the eyes and if it effects your vision , or if there is redness in eyes.
Howe've few causes we should consider here includes the following.
1.Dry eyes .This is a common reason for recurrent eye pain and this is likely when pain is more on waking up in the morning .Less lubricants in eyes causes the rubbing of eyes durring sleep to caues mild erosions and that is painfull. Its recurrent and moslty after sleep .So I understand it one possible reason reason in your context .Do you feel grittiness in eyes ?? or if you have noticed decrease in your tears then this may be the cause.Causes of dryness of eyes are many and we may discuss if you feel this is your probelm.
2. corneal abrasion .Some times deep ulcers in the cornea that is the outer layer of eye can cause recurrent pain which may be severe .Thisn is likely if thier is any hisotory of trauma to the eyes .
3.Some times foreign bodes like dust, mud etc can caues eye pain.
4.Allergic eye conditions or infection may also cause pain along with itchiness and redness.

Some serious causes of eye pain includes glaucoma , infections of the deep eye .in that cases eyes may be red and compromises vision.

So the causes are many and we recommend to see opthalmalogist for eye examination to know the cause..
For the time being you can use heat compression, overy the counter artificial tears to relieve your pain.
Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Mahboob ur Rahman
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy