question-icon

I have horrible headaches , my ankles swell all the

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Question: I have horrible headaches, my ankles swell all the time along with my back. I am constantly tired, I have a hard time sleeping because my legs hurt so bad. This has been going on for over a year. Doctors don't really give me an answer. I am only 38 years old and I weigh 120 pounds. I eat well and am active. One doctor thought it might be Lyme disease, then my insurance ran out so I didn't have it checked. All I know is I sleep every chance I get . I am so tired of feeling this way. I cannot even wear closed shoes any more because of the swelling. My blood circulation is normal according to doctors
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (42 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Probably rheumatoid arthritis, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms can be related to many medical conditions.

I would think about rheumatoid arthritis.

I recommend some examinations to help me through the diagnosis.

I suggest:

A complete blood count

Rheumatoid factor level

C-reactive protein (CRP) level to check for an inflammation in the system.

Meanwhile, I would recommend to use anti-inflammatory medication such as Naproxen 500 mg three times a day.

I also recommend to use anti-inflammatory cream such as Voltaren cream for local application.

Hot and cold compresses can also be helpful.

After the examinations you can contact me again for further evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (50 minutes later)
Interesting. I was told it was Lupus. I didn't tell you because I am not 100% convinced that is what it is. I feel they just took the easy way out.

rheumatoid arthritis would make me tired all the time? Would cause migraines?

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Rheumatoid arthritis can be related to chronic fatigue and headaches.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

Rheumatoid arthritis can be related to chronic fatigue.

It can also be related to headaches.

Headaches are usually related to arthritis of the first, second or third vertebrae involved.

This condition is due to the nerves that supply the scalp only originating from this area of the spine.

I recommend to do the suggested examinations to confirm the diagnosis and take proper treatment.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (4 hours later)
What are the chances it is Lupus?
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (2 minutes later)
Sorry, I hit send and was not finished.

What are the chances it is lupus? Would this Rheumatoid arthritis cause the lumps in the back and blood clots in her knees?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
The symptoms can also be related to lupus.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again dear,

Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are both autoimmune diseases.

In rheumatoid arthritis the body attacks the joints.

In lupus the symptoms can vary widely from person to person and can affect many other parts of the body as well.

The blood clots for example, are more seen in patients with lupus.

Without examinations is not possible to confirm neither of the diagnosis.

So, I recommend to do the examinations suggested above for further evaluation and specific treatment.

Take care dear,

Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi