I have high blood pressure , 160/80 and sometimes down

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have high blood pressure, 160/80 and sometimes down to 140/80. I have scheduled a visit with my physician so as to get prescribed drugs for this. Does this type of high blood pressure, where the systolic pressure is high but the diastolic pressure is 'normal,' (I believe the difference in the two is called the pulse pressure), call for a different sort of drug, or are any of the preferred drugs better than others? Also does this indicate a different cause for the high blood pressure? 72 years old, male, pretty good shape, exercise often, vegetarian.
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 0 minute later
I have high blood pressure, 160/80 and sometimes down to 140/80. I have scheduled a visit with my physician so as to get prescribed drugs for this. Does this type of high blood pressure, where the systolic pressure is high but the diastolic pressure is 'normal,' (I believe the difference in the two is called the pulse pressure), call for a different sort of drug, or are any of the preferred drugs better than others? Also does this indicate a different cause for the high blood pressure? 72 years old, male, pretty good shape, exercise often, vegetarian.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Systolic hypertension cured with antihypertensive medications .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

The type of hypertension when systolic blood pressure is high and diastolic is normal is called systolic hypertension.
It is still hypertension because hypertension is diagnosed when the systolic is more than 130 mmhg and diastolic 80 mmhg or more.
This kind of hypertension is treated as other types of hypertension with antihypertensive drugs . The first line treatment are diuretics such hydroclorthyaside. You may also use b blockers, ace inhibitors or arb

Also a chance in lifestyle is necessary.
* stop smoking.
* increase physical activity
*low salt diet
* low fat diet.
* increase physical activity

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

* stop smoking.
* increase physical activity
*low salt diet
* low fat diet.
* increase physical activity

Hope I have answered the question.