Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
168 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

I have had this open wound for at least two

Answered by
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1995

Answered : 2524 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 in Lump
Question: I have had this open wound for at least two mo. now. I believe it started when i had eczema,( and i hope thats the way its spelled,) two or three mo. ago. it started on my arms, after it cleared up on my arms, it started on my right leg,down by the foot and up about six or seven inches and about a third around. I have seen two doctors , both internist at different mo. They both told me to put a good brand cream on it and wrap the leg. the creams had alcohol in them and it burnt ,so i would wipe that off and try other ointments and when i would wrap my leg it would feel nice and warm. The next day it would start burning really bad so i started pulling the hard crust off of my leg and it would get bloody , i would clean that up with bath room tissue and apply more ointment , re-wrap the leg and go to bed. The next day it would all start again. My question is this---- do you have any thoughts about what i should or could do for my leg, i'm worried i might get it infected but i don't stop either. would a hyperbaric unit help me . thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should get a Colour Doppler of the leg

Detailed Answer:
As per your description of your leg,it could be due to Varicose veins.Colour Doppler of the leg will give a Clue .
Routine simple infection will not take months to heal.
If Varicose veins are excluded,then you should consult a Dermatologist and proceed further.
Please post the picture of your leg if you do not have any objection.
Please consult a Surgeon,get Colour Doppler of the affected leg and proceed further.
Till then,get regular dressing of the wound
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on