I have had the small gray colored spot on the

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Dental Health
Question: I have had the small gray colored spot on the inside of my cheek for several years. I noticed it after bitting the inside of my cheek really hard while eating. It does not hurt it’s healed over it’s not a bump or lump anD has not changed in appearance. I pointed out to my dentist he didn’t see too concerned. I use to chew tobacco during college and of an after but did quit. I have researched signs of oral cancer and this does not seem to have any of the signs of oral cancer what do you think.
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 0 minute later
I have had the small gray colored spot on the inside of my cheek for several years. I noticed it after bitting the inside of my cheek really hard while eating. It does not hurt it’s healed over it’s not a bump or lump anD has not changed in appearance. I pointed out to my dentist he didn’t see too concerned. I use to chew tobacco during college and of an after but did quit. I have researched signs of oral cancer and this does not seem to have any of the signs of oral cancer what do you think.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Smoking often leads to smokers melanosis but you said that you have had the habit of chewing tobacco, so it's not a concern.

The bump that appeared was due to a traumatic bite of cheek and has no relevance to the tobacco lesions. The other causes of discolouration of your cheek mucosa can be amalgam tattoo if you have a history of any silver filling or it can be physiological and doesn’t need any treatment.

It’s good that you have stopped this habit and you need to take a multivitamin with antioxidants and drink excess water.

Keep it under watch and take a picture now and compare after 6 months. If you see any further changes, then get back to me.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks
Kind Regards
Dr Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Thanks
Kind Regards
Dr Neha Sumra

Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 36 minutes later
But after a trumatic bite could still have a gray spot years down the road. What would cancer look like.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The traumatic bite has no relation to grey spots

Detailed Answer:

As I have mentioned before that grey spots can due to amalgam tattoo if you have some mercury filling or can be physiological, which means normal.

It is not related to a traumatic bite and the traumatic bite may cause some swelling or pain, which subsides within 5-10 days. Please keep it under watch and send me pictures if its still bothering you.

Thanks & Regards
Dr Neha Sumra

Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks & Regards
Dr Neha Sumra

Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
I can not submit the picture through this forum please help
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach it in the medical reports section

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

You can attach the picture in the medical report section. You can also email them to YYYY@YYYY by keeping the Subject as ATTN:Dr Neha Sumra and I'll receive them

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

It looks normal and you may take multivitamin with antioxidants for 15 days and observe it. If it resolves then it’s good otherwise it may be physiological pigmentations and it won’t bother you in future.

If you have any questions, please get back to me.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Brief Answer:
Its normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 5 hours later
So no chance it’s cancer?????
So no chance it’s cancer?????
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doesn’t look like cancer at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

As per your history, symptoms and picture it doesn’t look like cancer at this stage. I would advice you to keep an eye on it and send me another picture after 6 months or see an oral surgeron if it progresses.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Brief Answer:
Doesn’t look like cancer at this stage

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 30 minutes later
What would signify cancer??????
What would signify cancer??????
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soreness, lumps, red and white lesions, numbness in oral cavity

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Soreness, lump, red and white lesions, numbness in oral cavity, difficultly in swallowing and moving jaw, loose teeth without any dental cause are all signs of early stages of oral cancer.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra