I have had restless leg syndrome for around 15 years

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had restless leg syndrome for around 15 years now. I've been to numerous doctors and have been prescribed several different medications. Currently I'm taking horizontal, Mirapex for the past two years and it just doneeds work. My son told me about how he takes clonazepam and it works for him. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clonazepam is a reasonable treatment for intermittent symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. For chronic persistent symptoms of restless leg syndrome, the most effective medications are usually dopamine agonists like the Mirapex and also medications like gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica. If you have not tried these medications, they may be an option for you.

Clonazepam has been shown to be helpful in restless leg syndrome. There are side effects with this medication such as drowsiness and can slow your thinking process, but if your restless leg syndrome is causing significant problems, I think it would be a reasonable treatment to discuss with your doctor.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help with anything else.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy