question-icon

I have had prostatitis twice before and and keeps coming

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019
Question: I have had prostatitis twice before and and keeps coming back on and off. I sit down a lot at work (10hrs) a day. Pain in my groin, base of my penis and my scrotum gets red and gets sore. Testicles have been ultrasounded.

Have just finished a round of Ciprofloxacin about 4 weeks ago but keeps coming back.

What should and Can I do. PSA is fine and a 3T MRI which I had 18months ago was fine.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
There are several things

Detailed Answer:
Hi Troydelaney,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. There are several things that should be done, e.g. cultures of urine and a urethral swap. Antibiotics typically used include trimethoprim or penicillins, often for 6-12 weeks, and it is important to take the medicine for the full course. Further, alpha blockage using tamsoluzine may also be helpful.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon