I have had prepatellar bursitis for a few months .

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had prepatellar bursitis for a few months . When my ortho apirated the bursa, rather than normal fluid, the bursa was filled with blood. The bursa ended up re swelling after a few weeks, and again, the aspriation was all blood rather than normal fluid. The ortho thought it was caused by trauma (i cannot recall any recent trauma), but I'm worried there might be something else going on. Any idea what may be causing the blood, or what steps should be takes to determine the cause?
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to chronic inflammation.

Detailed Answer:

Prepatellar bursitis is the inflammation of a small sac of fluid located in front of the kneecap. This inflammation can cause many problems in the knee.
The prepatellar bursa can become irritated and inflamed in a number of ways.
In some cases, a direct blow or a fall onto the knee can damage the bursa. This usually causes bleeding into the bursa sac, because the blood vessels in the tissues that make up the bursa are damaged and torn.
Prepatellar bursitis can also occur over a longer period of time. People who work on their knees, such as carpet layers and plumbers, can repeatedly injure the bursa. This repeated injury can lead to irritation and thickening of the bursa over time and can also cause repeated bleeding due to inflammation.
The fluid aspirated from bursa can be sent for culture and an MRI scan can help in proper diagnosis.
Usually it improves with rest and anti inflammatory pain killers. In recurrent cases surgical removal of bursa may be needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal