question-icon

I have had occasional intercourse with someone who has herpes

Posted on Wed, 20 Feb 2019
Question: I have had occasional intercourse with someone who has herpes 2. We have always used condoms, and never had intercourse during an outbreak in 10 years. I have had no symptoms during the whole 10 years. What is the likelihood that I have Herpes 2? Do I need to get tested if I'm moving on to a new partner?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Testing for Herpes 2 is suggested when there is a risk.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.

As far as Herpes is concerned, the condom does not offer a high degree of protection.
HSV shedding can occur during the absence of manifestations also especially prior and after an episode for a week or 10 days.

Symptoms in women sometimes were not obvious because of the anatomical nature.

Moreover, if you get anything in future you may not be sure about the source.
So it is better to have a screening for HSV 2 also.

Dr S.Murugan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist