I have had occasional intercourse with someone who has herpes
Testing for Herpes 2 is suggested when there is a risk.
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
Thanks for posting your query.
As far as Herpes is concerned, the condom does not offer a high degree of protection.
HSV shedding can occur during the absence of manifestations also especially prior and after an episode for a week or 10 days.
Symptoms in women sometimes were not obvious because of the anatomical nature.
Moreover, if you get anything in future you may not be sure about the source.
So it is better to have a screening for HSV 2 also.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...