I have had nausea on and off for a few

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had nausea on and off for a few years....now its more often in the morning. I have been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia and wonder if that could be the cause. The nausea doesn't lead to vomiting and subsides after taking ginger tea. A barium test showed no ulceration...doesn't specify if its in stomach or intestine. Could my problem be gall bladder disease?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very likely Gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a doctor service for your query'.
I have gone very carefully through your query. Very likely your symptoms are suggestive of gastritis.Gastritis means inflammation in layer of muscles of gut.Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with stomach acid will stagnate into gut causing severe inflammation leading to pain nausea like symptoms.
Relief on taking ginger tea (alkali) in nature again suggests the same.Acid is neutralised by base.

As far as gall bladder is concerned symptoms are totally different usually the pain is very severe and radiates to the shoulder.Pain and nausea are severe in nature and usually required planned removal of gall bladder.
Test suggested-
Endoscopy should be done to see if there is inflammed gut or not.Some times it's caused by infection of bacteria named H.pylori.So endoscopy should be done.

As of now I would suggest you not to worry too much.
Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug (eg.Domperidone) for 10 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms.
Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
Any over counter probiotic should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms.
Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods
Hope I was helpful.
Follow ups are welcome!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 44 minutes later

As I mentioned I did have a barium swallow (GI series) and wouldn't this procedure show as you described? Is there any other procedure other than endoscopy that can identify this, for instance a sonogram, its less invasive.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Barium swallow has no role in gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
Barium swallow is a old school test meant to find out any obstruction or growth in g.i.t.
It has no role in diagnosis of gastritis/Acid disorder.
Sonogram is more invasive as it uses ultrasonic waves while endoscopy just uses a camera but is a bit problematic for patient.
Solution go for capsule endoscopy.You just need to swallow a capsule with microscopic camera.It would send all photos of gut to computer attached.
Thank you.
Feel free to follow up
Do rate answer!