I have had loose stool for the past , gas

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had loose stool for the past , gas , some diaheria, and awareness of activity in my stomach after eating.
I sometimes feel like I need to move my bowls but when I sit on the toilet ,I produce little or ,at times, nothing.
I am more comfortable lying on the couch reading and listening to my stomach gurgule.
I I am taking a homeopathic called,ameba-fudge, Imodium, and Benefiber.
Other than some lethargy,I have no other symptoms.
My pcp says she can refer me to a stomach doctor if symptoms persist. Tks Ralph
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It's inflammation of intestines called gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query on HealthcareMagic my dear patient,
Have seen your details.
Most likely you are having gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis causes inflammation in intestines therefore moment of intestine would cause pain or spasm.As intestines are inflamed large amount of mucous would be secreted along with improper water absorption causing stools to be watery loose and mucoid.
Most of the times its a self limiting condition caused by virus though in your case it sounds to be either bacterial or protozoal as it's recurrent from some time.
I would suggest you is to get Electral/ORS solution from local store/pharmacy and give him at least 200ml after every motion.A lots of electrolytes are lost during loose motions hence a person feels weak. Repletion of electrolyte is necessary.
Tab imodium 4mg thrice daily to stop stools.Its over the counter.Things would be much better after 2nd dose.
Any probiotic like Econorm can be taken twice daily.
Till now its was all over the counter.
If you can manage get a prescription for him-
Cefiximine 200mg twice daily
Metronidazole 400mg thrice daily(would cover bacteria and protozoans also).Take a course of 5 days for complete cure.Proctotis would also go away due to which you have constant urge to defecate.
If possible get a stool test and ultrasound sound abdomen done.
Keep a watch on blood pressure and pulse.
If pulse is more then 110/minute or Upper blood pressure is less then 100mm of hg shift to the nearest emergency room.
Regards and follow ups are welcome sir.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad