I have had heart palpitations my entire life but the
I would explain as follows:
Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that some palpitations are quite normal during anxiety or physical activity.
Anyway, before concluding that it is just anxiety, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a physical exam and some tests:
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid gland dysfunction
- blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance.
An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.
If all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints.
In the meantime, I recommend avoiding caffeine intake or energy drinks and try practicing Yoga or meditations to help against anxiety.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
Wishing all the best,
Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
You are welcome!
Thank you for the additional information!
Thyroid gland dysfunction could trigger all this clinical situation too. For this reason, it is important checking thyroid hormone levels.
If you have any other questions in the future, please feel free to ask me directly at any time!
I would be glad to answer to all of your questions or review your test reports for a second professional opinion.
Hope to have been helpful!
Wishing all the best,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?