I have had alternating blocked nostrils for one year completely

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had alternating blocked nostrils for one year completely and also I have had red/bloodshot eyes for the same time period. I got sick a lot in 2018, waking up with a lot of mucus which would lead to a chest infection so I was on antibiotics at least four times but I stopped getting sick in September 2018 when I started to take "Air Defence Healthy Immune" by NOW. However I still have one blocked nostril at all times and I am waking up with bloodshot eyes. Can anyone tell me what the issue is?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This seems to be an allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You seem to have allergy or sensitivity. You windpipe maybe hyper-reacting to stimuli. Do anti-allergic medicines help? What is your complete blood count?
I will suggest that you avoid any type of polluted air. Breathing warm air at most times will be helpful. Drinking cleaner water can help. Alternate nostril breathing (in yoga) and breathing techniques will be helpful in raising blood oxygen levels.

It is good that you are not getting chest infections now. If you still have sputum, then a sputum culture and sensitivity are needed to figure out the bacteria. Intra-ocular tension must be checked by optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj