I have had a severe leg cramp in the top

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have had a severe leg cramp in the top of my thigh. It lasted for days and I could hardly walk. As it eased on day 3, I have developed huge bruising on the inside of my thigh. I went to the ER on the 1st night and they took blood, gave me fluids IV and took an x-ray. They said it was a muscle spasm but now that I am developing large bruising from my knee to the groin, I am very worried. My family MD cant see me for two weeks-
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be simple muscle cramp, more likely a torn muscle.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Welcome to Ask a Doctor Service.

I have carefully studied your problem and understand your concern.

The initial cramp like pain you experienced is more likely to be due to torn muscle rather than cramp.

With the tear there would be bleeding and that is now presenting as bruising in your thigh.

The best investigation for such injuries is to do an MRI scan of the affected region and an angiogram to locate the bleeding blood vessel.

You need to talk to a vascular surgeon or an interventional radiologist and also consult an orthopedic surgeon.

Complete rest is required so as to allow for the torn part to heal well.

I hope that answers your query, please feel free to write back to me.

Wishing you speedy and complete recovery.

Best regards