I have flat feet and also lumbar spine . I

Question
I have flat feet and also lumbar spine. I also was diagnosed with sciatica. I sometimes have a pain going down the back of my left leg.My question is is this because of my back or flat feet? I would think that if its generated from my flat feet the pain should shoot up verses down. My next question is, is it normal to sometimes get cramps in your flat feet?
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cramping can occur due increased pressure

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The pain is likely related to the sciatica. Sciatica occurs when there is inflammation or damage to the sciatic nerve.

This nerves comes out from the spinal cord and helps the muscles of the buttocks and thigh, before dividing into 2 nerves by the knee to help the muscles of the leg.
This means that problems with the sciatic nerve can cause problems all down the leg in some persons.
Pain medication and physiotherapy may help with this somewhat.

The flat feet would contribute to the pain somewhat because there may be increased pressure on the joints as you walk or stand.
Cramps can occur as a result of flat feet because of increased pressure at all of the different aspects of the foot.

you may want to consider seeing a podiatrist to assess your feet and fit you with shoes that may make activity more comfortable.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions