I have fever (101 - 102) taken in my ears.

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have fever (101 - 102) taken in my ears. Sore throat and nausea since this morning. I took Ondansetron 4mg tablet about 2 hours ago. It took away my nausea, but now it seems to be coming back. I recall taking the same med years ago, but I think it was 8mg. Can I take another 4 mg? I am a 59 y/o male, no tobacco or drugs, and I am in good health. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take another 4mg of Ondansetron...

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Well, as per your description, this could be secondary to the impending flu...

Yes, you can take the additional 4mg of Ondansetron now...However, if there are sinus blockage and sore throat, they can also produce persistent nausea, so a comprehensive approach should be taken to treat it fully...

For fever, pain/aches, take Acetaminophen/Tylenol 650mg three times daily after some food for the next few days...

-Start doing Chlorhexidine gargle twice daily and lukewarm saline gargle twice daily in an alternate fashion...avoid going to any overcrowded places, for the time being, perhaps use a face mask while going out...

-Take some steam inhalation twice to thrice daily, it'll help to ease the associated symptoms to some extent and clear the secretions/drainage...

-Avoid any form of cold-drinks, dairy products and sour foods as they can further aggravate this situation...

-Please drink a lot of fluids. Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the recovery.

However, if there's persistence beyond a few days, then you should get it checked up by a physician as there may be a need to start prescription based combination antibiotics and decongestant therapy (generally, in my patients I'd advice Sudafed as a decongestant and antibiotic Co-Amoxiclav twice daily for 5-7days)...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee