I have extreme anxiety and I have emetaphobia(fear of anything

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 in Mental Health
Question: I have extreme anxiety and I have emetaphobia(fear of anything to do with sick) and I feel very sick and I am shaking and crying and I don’t know what to do please help me :(
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. When you say you feel very sick, do you have an infection or symptoms that you are feeling sick from -- can you tell me more about what you mean by "feel very sick"?

If you are feeling quite out of control with anxiety, you may want to consider going in to the A & E where they can give you a sedating medication such as lorazepam or alprazolam. This can help for the current panic, but for long term, a medication such as in the SSRI family can help. As well as therapy to learn coping skills.

But, let's address the immediate problem:
You may feel like things are out of control, but getting thru it will actually help you for future episodes. Try 4 by 4 breathing: Sit in a chair and focus on your breaths, counting 4 counts as you inhale and 4 when you exhale. Do this for 4 breath cycles, focusing each time on your breath and the counting. After 4 breaths, repeat for 4 minutes total. When your mind strays to a worried or panicked thought, and it will, just acknowledge that you are having a stressful thought, and let it go, by returning to thinking on the breaths and counting.

If this is not enough to break the panic and calm yourself a bit, then going to the A & E for a sedative/anxiety medication will get you through this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj