I have diverticulitus, and have had diareaha for the last
Imodium 4mg thrice daily. Low doses won't help.
Thanks for choosing 'Ask a doctor' service for your query.
As you are concerned about the treatment:
Continue taking the tablet Imodium 4mg thrice daily to stop loose watery stools.
As diverticulitis is caused by bacteria as well as protozoa take any broad-spectrum antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin 500 mg three times a day to cover bacteria and Metronidazole 400mg three times a day to cover protozoal infection. These are prescription based medications.
However, in case you can't get a prescription just take Imodium 4mg thrice daily to stop loose motions(it's over the counter).
Along with it take a probiotic like Econorn twice daily and add fiber supplements to the diet.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?