I have developed a sensation in my right ear that

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have developed a sensation in my right ear that I describe as a "bubbling." It is not a sound, simply a sensation. There is no pain or discomfort and no hearing loss. I hear normally while it is happening. This starts at random times and continues for a random period. The duration is increasing. I have not identified what triggers these episodes' Stress, fatigue, exertion, posture have no discernable effect.It is not synchronized with my pulse. I do not consume alcohol. They can occur while lying still in bed after awaking or any other time.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May or may not be concerning...

Detailed Answer:

The 'bubbling' sound that you hear in the ear is medically referred to as tinnitus. Since you do not have pain, discharge or hearing discomfort, the tinnitus doesn't seem related to a serious ear pathology. At times the problem may be due to eustachian tube dysfunction or even age related hearing changes.

If the sound is bothering you, then I will suggest to visit an ENT doctor. The doctor will run a few hearing test, will physically evaluate the ear, nose and throat. He/she may also run a few blood tests to arrive at the diagnosis. If necessary he may prescribe drugs that may sedate the symptoms.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.