I have daily constipation I take tramadol for pain- just
Magnesium citrate is a great medication for constipation
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor.
Constipation is a common condition and medications, such as Tramadol, often contribute to it, but often these medications are necessary and we just have to find a way to manage the constipation. Especially when taking furosemide, you should also watch out for low potassium in your blood, which can happen with diuretics such as furosemide and can make constipation worse. Your doctor should be checking for this periodically with a blood test.
I think magnesium citrate is a great medication for constipation. It works by bringing water into the colon which makes stool easier to pass. Other options for treating constipation that you can also take with the Magnesium Citrate would be bulk forming laxative such as Metamucil, stool softeners such as docusate, or bowel stimulants such as bisacodyl. You should be able to get most of these over the counter.
If your constipation worsens and is still not controlled with these medications, there are other stronger prescription medications such as Linzess or Amitiza which can be prescribed for constipation, usually by a GI specialist.
I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions, and I would be glad to discuss it with you further
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining