I have been taking Kayexalate for years because of my

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have been taking Kayexalate for years because of my potassium level after my liver transplant. I had a very serious car accident a year ago and I woke in the hospital and given dialysis. The nephrologist had given me Veltassa. Which is more effective between the two?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Veltessa is a newer generation drug and so far having good results...

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...

Well, the primary differentiation is Kayexalate is an age-old medication to reduce potassium levels while Veltessa is a much newer discovery. It also has shown significant cardio-renal (heart and kidneys) protection in kidney patients in the long run. So far whatever clinical trials have been run on Veltessa shown positive signs mostly (and also fewer side effects compared to Kayexalate)...

So, since your Nephrologist has prescribed this, I'd say it's a novel approach and you should give it a try...

Let me know if I can assist you further...
Wish you good health...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee