I have been taking 25mcg Synthroid for 6 months because

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have been taking 25mcg Synthroid for 6 months because my doctor thought it might give me more energy and help with weight loss but I don't think it made any difference. If I had researched Synthroid before starting, I would not have. I am a woman 79 years old. I am now experiencing heightened anxiety and do not want to start prescription medicines, and instead would prefer trying natural remedies, but my doctor is against. I am interested in starting ashwagandha as a natural calming herb. Can I take the two together? If I start ashwagandha, can I quit the Synthroid and is it necessary to taper off? My TSH was 4.03 the last test in August, 2018. Thank you for your response.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About synthroid;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
Yes, you are right, you are not a candidate for synthroid.
The normal TSH range for your age is 6.4 mui/ ml.
As you noticed, nothing changed while taking it.
Anyway, the dose you have taken is the lowest and there is no need to taper it. You can stop it immediately.
Regarding to natural remedies, you can take it but no one can reassure you that it really helps.
Best wishes,
Dr.mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T