I have been suffering with dizziness , fatigue and nausea

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been suffering with dizziness, fatigue and nausea for one week now. I was taking Meclizine, prescribed by my GP but my ENT dr. changed that to 0.5 mg of Valium along with a Medrol dose pack. I don't know why this began but it was suddenly last Tuesday. We're flying for our vacation this Friday. Am I safe to go and how can I lessen these symptoms other than what ENT prescribed? Should I give my ENT dr. a chance? I have a tube in my ear, thinking that might an issue but it is still in place. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you should start with the ENT's prescription right away...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concern...

Well, this could be related to the tube in your ear even slightest manipulation of position or partial blockage or even any residual tissue/secretions can give rise to such symptoms you described.

Since you're having the flight on this Friday, please don't wait any longer and start following the ENT's advice right away. The final decision on flying can only be ascertained on the day of your flight and of course how you stay after this medications. So, do report back to the ENT after a day or two of the medications as only a direct inner ear examination can tell for sure regarding the progression of this present scenario.

Don't worry, just start taking the medications, drink a lot of fluids throughout the day, strictly avoid handling any heavy types of machinery, driving the car for the time being. Avoid smoking/alcohol also (if at all do). Additionally, you can take some steam inhalation three times daily, it may help to reduce the symptoms to some extent.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 20 minutes later
Thank you for your guidance. I began taking the Valium last night and I took one this morning (.05 mg). I began the Medrol this morning.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
glad to be of service...

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome...

Yes, please continue doing so and follow the additional bits of suggestions given earlier. Things should be getting better within a while only.

Take Care
Kind Regards