I have been on heart medication for years as well

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been on heart medication for years as well as blood thinners. Tonight after
something strenuous, I became very aware of my blood pressure to be very high -- 176/95.
My pulse is normal, 65.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that a single spike in blood pressure does not indicate uncontrolled arterial hypertension.

It could be related to physical straining or anxiety.

For this reason, I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values in the next days, frequently during the day, in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax.

If your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges (125/85mm Hg) most of the time, I would recommend increasing the dose of your antihypertensive drugs ( if you are taking any) or start them if you have not taken them until now.

I would like to know your current therapy.

In the meantime, I would recommend having some rest and taking a glass of lemon juice in order to help lower your blood pressure values. If high blood pressure values persist, going to the ER may be needed, because as you are taking blood thinners, you may be at an increased risk of bleeding.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj