I have been in extreme pain in my lower back

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I have been in extreme pain in my lower back and in my neck. Also my right arm tightens even after I got injection a month ago. I am now having more pain in my pelvic area and lower stomates that makes my feet feel numb and tingling .
I also experience pain and severe pain in my hand wants going on and my right hands shakes now. Also my Bowls and when I urinate it is painful to.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative disc disease likely.

Detailed Answer:
From the symptoms described it seems that you have degenerative spondylosis & disc disease in lumbar spine. MRI scan is needed to confirm the diagnosis.
It occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.
For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.
- Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
- Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back
- Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed.
- Use a lumbosacral back support to stabilize your spinal muscles
- Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc
- After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery.
- Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain and numbness.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.