Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

I have been having dull constant pain under right rib

Answered by
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 13044 Questions

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been having dull constant pain under right rib cage and moves to right side middle back with periodic dull pain in mid abdomen. Have had blood test and urine come back normal and xray of chest negative. Doctor wants to do ultrasound and if that is normal then is going to refer me to pain clinic.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible gallbladder stones

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Such pain may be present in both lung and abdominal issues.
It may be a sign of pneumonia, pleurodynia or pinched intercostal nerve.
But if chest X-ray was fine then this can be ruled out.

Next step would be to do an abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallbladder stones or liver disorders which may manifest as pain under the rib cage.

Third, some spine issues such as a disc hernia also lead to similar pain so this should be checked with spine MRI if ultrasound is fine.

Till that I suggest to take Acetaminophen/Tylenol or Ketorolac for pain, have easier food and avoid physical activity that aggravates pain.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on