I have been having a pain in my left shoulder

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in General Health
Question: I have been having a pain in my left shoulder blade for several days. It feels as tho I have pulled something. I always sleep on my right left, but now, when I lay on my right side, my shoulder blade hurts, but when I turn over and lay on my left side I can go to sleep. Should I worry about this pain .
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. While there can potentially be many causes for the shoulder pain you describe, the most common would be a rotator cuff tendinopathy or muscle strain. These can be treated with pain medications like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. There's no need to worry about this pain, but if the pain persists it may be a good idea to have a doctor evaluate you to see if physical therapy or a steroid injection might help.

I hope that helps. If you can answer a few questions I might be able to give more specific advice. How old are you? Does moving the arm at the shoulder make the pain worse? Do the muscles feel tight in the area that hurts? The left shoulder blade hurts, but laying on your left side is better than the right? Do you have normal strength on the left side?

If you don't need any more advice then you don't need to answer and can close the question, otherwise I look forward to your response.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy