question-icon

I have been having a feeling of something moving up

Posted on Fri, 13 Jul 2018
Question: I have been having a feeling of something moving up and down in my throat for about 4 or more years now. I can feel it all the time. I have been to a couple of Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctors. I have taken a barium test. Still nothing conclusive. I have to really watch how I eat, or I will choke.
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
i would advise you should go for ENDOSCOPY

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to 'Ask A Doctor service ' . i have read your question and here is my advice.
there can be so many reasons for it, like a polyp, or any soft masses tissue mass, which may not be properly seen by examining the throt only
( may be it down ) ...so the best option here will to go for an OGD ,( ENDOSCOPY )that would look into your food pipe with a camera scope.
the good thing is that if it has been for the last 4 years and you are still doing well this does not seem to be a very serious thing , but whatever , this may be unbearable , so definitely need to get rid of it ,
sometimes this type of feeling can occur with anxiety, i just want to know how has been your mode ?

so i would suggest , you should go to a gastroenterologist ( if nothing is wrong with the throught) to do an endoscopy and see what it could be . if thats normal it can be quite reassuring.

hopes i have answered your question ; i will be glad to answer any thing else you want to know in this regards.

Kind Regards,
Dr Rahman

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman