I have been having a burning feeling in my penis

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been having a burning feeling in my penis for going on 30 days now. Went to a Urologist in the United States and he did a digital rectal exam and expressed some liquid and looked at the liquid under the microscope and said it had some puss in it. He told me it was non bacterial prostatitis. He prescribed Cipro for 2 weeks then I went back for a follow up. It still felt the same so he prescribed Keflex and told me to take it for 30 days. I feel like he is missing something. Different kinds of test were performed and I will attach them. Why do I still feel a burning and itching feeling in my penis.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
As no urologist has come forward, I ,as an internist treating people with similar problems, am answering.
The procedure your doctor did was a prostate massage . The microscopic examination of the prostatic secretion showed that there was infection. These infections may require different antibiotics and for long periods for a cure sometimes.
If you had any unprotected sex before the onset of symptoms, STI like gonorrhea or Chlamydia may have to be considered and these require different antibiotics.
Your symptoms are typical of prostatitis but gives no clue to the organism causing the infection.
Please upload the test results and do get back to me if there are further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 2 days later
Another report that wouldnt upload is a test that was Chlamydia, Amplified DNA and N, Gonorrhoeae Amplified DNA both negative

All the doc did was express liquid out. Cipro was used for two weeks and didn’t work. Now I am on Keflex for 30 days.

One thing I did notice was my urine PH was 4.5. Would too acidic urine cause irritation in my urethra? I have a burning feeling in my urethra
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for the information.
Acidic urine increases the risk of crystalluria and this can cause burning. You would be able to change your diet to increase the ph or if that is not successful, there are OTC citrate containing products which are helpful.
Narrowing of the urethra as a result of the enlargement of the prostate even without infection can produce urinary symptoms.
Wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 10 hours later
What is the otc citrate that can help raise my urine PH so not so acidic
Brief Answer:
Discussion continued

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and sorry for the delay in replying as I was traveling.
Potassium Sodium Hydrogen Citrate will raise the urine pH and help it to be less acidic and into the normal range. Uralyt U is a brand of the same which is available OTC. If it is not available in your local pharmacy, the pharmacist would suggest another brand.
Wish you a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 4 hours later
Would you suggest my doctor to perform a semen culture to see what if any bacteria is in my prostate?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yield is likely to be low now

Detailed Answer:
The yield of a positive semen culture is likely to be low at this stage as you have been on antibiotics recently.
What I would suggest is to wait till your next appointment with your doctor. He would probably repeat the prostate massage and check for pus cells. If pus cells are present he would advise a semen culture.