I have been experiencing some things that may or may

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I have been experiencing some things that may or may not be related. Yesterday I woke up with a muscle cramp in my leg or back going into my leg. I had it again today. As the day progressed, I began to experience muscle cramps behind my knees in both legs, making it hard to rise from sitting and to walk. Then I began to get a headache, and I think I have a fever, too.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle cramps maybe related to fever. Rest, fluids.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Ask A Doctor Service.

I have studied your symptoms carefully.

You seem to be suffering from a viral fever or it could be deep vein thrombosis or localised infection in the legs (cellulitis) if there is associated redness, local tenderness in the calf.

Viral fevers are very often associated with muscle cramps, headaches and joint pains.

I suggest you to visit the ER if there is any redness and swelling with severe pain on touching the calf of your legs.

If there is absolutely no redness and swelling and not much pain on squeezing the calf, then you can take rest and take plenty of fluids, including fruit juices like orange juice etc, this will help in faster recovery.

The more serious causes for calf and back of the thigh pains and cramps need to be ruled out, hence it is advisable to visit the ER once and rule out the more serious of the causes.

You can take Motrin for the pain, or Acetaminophen 650 mg thrice a day for the fever.

I hope this answers your concern.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.