I have been experiencing dizziness for awhile ...when I lean

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been experiencing dizziness for awhile ...when I lean over and then raise my head...getting out of bed...turning over (room spins) picking something off the floor and then rising up. This seems to be getting more often now. I take a lot of vitamin supplements plus thyroid and high blood pressure meds. I am 80 years old and have been very healthy all of my life. I recently lost my husband and have been stressed over that.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Positional vertigo

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details provided with diligence. Based on your description, you feel transient dizziness with sudden change in position of head. This is described as positional vertigo. It is usually caused by benign ear conditions. Other causes include metabolic disturbance.

If the problem persists, I will encourage you to see a doctor for ear examination. Hearing tests and metabolic blood workup would be ordered to confirm the cause.

Until you see the doctor avoid sudden change of position. Do not walk alone.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 18 hours later
Are there any exercises that you could recommend that I could do to elevate this condition?
A friend has vertigo and she said that her chiropractor did something to ease her dizzyness.
Would this possibly help? Thank you for your help.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX Donati
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Not the first response...

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the late reply. Chiropractor and ENT surgeon do perform specific maneuver and it helps in treating benign vertigo secondary to inner ear pathology. But we need to first rule out all other causes of vertigo. Therefore my recommendation is that you visit a doctor and get the tests done. It will help us identify the cause and then specific treatment either medications or the maneuvers.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you need any other clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your answer and it makes total sense. I will definitely make an appointment with my doctor. I appreciate you helping me out.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX Donati
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome...

Detailed Answer:

Glad I was helpful. If there are no more questions to me, please close this discussion and review.

Wish you a prosperous and happy New Year ahead.

Good luck!!