I have been excessively yawning. Sometimes is several in a

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been excessively yawning. Sometimes is several in a row. Is this a symptom that should be checked?

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Causes of excessive yawning and management

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Excessive yawning can be associated with conditions such as anxiety, fatigue, and excessive daytime sleeping, but may also be common in obesity and night breathing disorders associated with it. If any of these may apply to you, please talk to your primary care physician on a treatment plan of the primary cause.

However, in some cases, excessive yawning may be a sign of a more serious condition, such as a heart attack, a stroke or a seizure. If you experience any of these symptoms: chest pain, nausea, sweating, trouble breathing, upper body pain, fatigue, dizziness, change in the sense of smell, taste, sight, hearing or touch, tingling and twitching of the limbs, confusion, slurring of speech, numbness or weakness in any part of the body please contact a medical facility or emergency room as soon as possible.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Wishing you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee