I have been diagnosed with Hollenhorst Plague . I know
there is an indirect link
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Hollenhorst plaques are cholesterol emboli ( break off from something that may have been bigger and travel elsewhere through the blood stream). They are thought to originate/start off from either the carotid arteries of the neck or the aorta (a large blood vessel in the body).
Cholesterol plaques are related to a condition called atherosclerosis. This is a condition refers to the build of fatty materials and cholesterol in the form of plaques in the blood vessels.
DIABETES is one of the conditions that increases the risk or chance of atherosclerosis. This means that DIABETES increases the chance of formation of cholesterol plaques in the aorta or carotid arteries.
This would then infer that it also increases the chance of the Hollenhorst plaques.
The link is indirect-- Diabetes ( particularly if not controlled)-- increases risk of plaques forming in different parts of the body---- this can lead to hollenhorst plaques (these are commonly not associated with symptoms.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
they are also risk factors for atherosclerosis
They are also considered risk factors for atheroscelrosis (formation of cholesterol plaques).
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, overweight/obesity, inactivity, unhealthy diet ( use of a lot of saturated fats or trans fats), older age group--- these are all considered risk factors for the development of atherosclerosis.
This means that they increase the risk of plaques developing at different points in the body including the carotid and aorta.
Also the heart and increased risk of stroke unfortunately.
Since they increase the risk of plaques in the carotid and aorta and plaques in these positions are related to this eye disease then yes, these conditions can definitely play a role in this condition.
Please feel free to ask any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?