I have been detected with SUA( Single Umbilical Artery )

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: I have been detected with SUA( Single Umbilical Artery) in my Anamoly scan, What all I can do and how to monitor the growth, I can travel or not with SUA.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regular ultrasound scans will monitor fetal growth.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and understand your health concerns.
Single umbilical artery is the most common umbilical abnormality. It is associated with higher incidence of poor fetal growth and a slightly increased risk for renal anomalies. Half to two-thirds of babies born with single artery in umbilical cord are born healthy and with no chromosomal or congenital abnormalities.
Since in the anomaly scan no renal abnormality has been detected there is no need to worry. To increase the fetal growth the supplements of L- arginine are helpful that your doctor has already prescribed.
You can travel with SUA. You only need to go for regular check up and ultrasound scans to assess a regular fetal growth.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T