question-icon

I have atrial flutter and have been told that my

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
Question: I have atrial flutter and have been told that my heart could throw clots. I also have serious arthritis in my neck. Today my neck is very sore and at times has a throbbing ache. I am afraid to use heat to ease the pain for fear it might be caused by a clot. Do these symptoms sound like a clot?
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Probably occipital neuralgia due to neck arthritis, follow the advice below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to occipital neuralgia, probably due to neck arthritis.

In my opinion the symptoms don't seem to be related to blood clot.

To exclude this diagnosis, there are some examinations that should be done.

I recommended doing the following examinations:

A complete blood count

INR level

Coagulation time and bleeding time

an ultrasound of the neck

Meanwhile, I recommend using anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.

You can also try muscle relaxants such as Baclofen three times a day.

I also recommend using an anti inflammatory cream for local application such as Voltaren gel.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi