I have a type of twitching or feeling of muscle

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2018 in Lump
Question: I have a type of twitching or feeling of muscle spasm on my upper abdomen below my breastbone. It can be seen moving , no pain, and it occurs at random times. Any ideas
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be a muscle spasm if you can see it

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dhudock,

If you can see the twitching on your body, it is likely a muscle spasm, completely benign. If you do not have any abdominal pain, nausea, or fever, you can wait it out.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 24 hours later
The twitching seems to have let up, but there is tenderness to touch. I am on heart meds and had four stents put in a year and a half ago. Do you still feel it is not a serious problem.
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 40 minutes later
The answer to follow up question did not appear
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It does not sound serious

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dhudock,

Since the pain can be provoked by palpation, heart disease is extremely unlikely. It actually supports a diagnosis of gallstone disease, more specifically cholecystitis. This is usually a self-limiting condition, but you'd should consider seeing your doctor to be scheduled for an ultrasound.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T