I have a sinus infection . I was given Clarithromycin

Question
I have a sinus infection. I was given Clarithromycin 500 mg. one every 12 hours and Prednisone tabs 20 mg. two daily. I have had one full dose of each. This morning when I woke up I had a rash over my upper chest with no other symptoms. Can I take a Benadryl now and do either of these drugs interact with Lisinopril, Toprol XL, simvastatin, Furosimide, or Gabapentin.
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
clarithromycin interacts with simvastatin, increases its level

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Clarithromycin interacts with simvastatin. It increases the level of simvastatin by affecting its metabolism and this increases the risk of side effects that occur with simvastatin since levels are higher.

The combination is not recommended.

It can also increase prednisone levels slightly but this effect is not as significant as the interaction with simvastatin.

Benadryl can interact slightly with toprol xl but they can still be used together. You can use it to help with the rash.

It would be best to speak to your doctor about your reaction. It may be reaction to the antibiotic or due to antibiotic's interaction with the other medication.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions