question-icon

I have a sharp periodic throbbing pain on right side

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019
Question: I have a sharp periodic throbbing pain on right side rib area which lasts a second or two— it is 2 inches or so below right armpit. Has lasted about two hours now. Had once before about 6 months ago. The periodic instances of pain are about 8 to 12 seconds apart.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Could be nerve compression in thoracic spine or ribs

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have read the complaints. The painful episodes are very brief . also it seems that you have not noticed any swelling in the area.
My opinion would be a neurological pain secondary to pressure on one of thoracic nerves, either at thoracic vertebra or along the nerve. I would recommend a combination of pregabalin and methycobalamine and spinal extension exercises.
In case you don't feel relieved in a week's time then please get orthopedic check up.
Thanks and please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon