I have a sharp pain when I walk. The pain
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
There are different possible causes for pain in the area described. One of the causes is a condition called iliopsoas bursitis.
The iliopsoas is basically a combination of two muscles and it is located in front of the hip. There is a bursa (sac) found in this area, it is normally present but can sometimes become inflamed or irritated.
This is called iliopsoas bursitis.
This can occur in persons with a history of one of the types of arthritis (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis mainly) or due to repetitive movements. In some the exact cause is not found.
Other causes of pain in this area would be arthritis (without inflammation of the bursa), trauma, muscle spasm.
It would good to find the exact cause which would require an assessment by your doctor. This would include physical examination and investigations such as bloods and imaging (eg x rays or hip ultrasound or MRI).
Treatment would depend on the exact cause and severity but may include the following: (1) rest as much as possible or reduce any aggravating movements
(2)use of NSAIDs if you can use these eg ibuprofen, naproxen, celebrex
(3)physiotherapy if it is severe or does not respond to medication and rest
(4)in some persons, depending on the exact cause of the pain, steroid injections may be needed into the area.
Since there is no history of injury and if there is no history of arthritis, then it is possible that the pain is spasm of the muscle since it was sudden in onset
In that case, rest, the NSAID, warm compress to the area, 2 to 3 times daily for 10 to 15 mins and a muscle relaxant- may be helpful
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?