Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have a sharp pain when I walk. The pain

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16040 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a sharp pain when I walk. The pain is where the top of my leg connects to my torso, in the joint. I can push on the area when I walk and that relieves the pain some. Don't remember doing anything to hurt that area. Just stood up from sitting and it occurred.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different possible causes for pain in the area described. One of the causes is a condition called iliopsoas bursitis.
The iliopsoas is basically a combination of two muscles and it is located in front of the hip. There is a bursa (sac) found in this area, it is normally present but can sometimes become inflamed or irritated.

This is called iliopsoas bursitis.
This can occur in persons with a history of one of the types of arthritis (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis mainly) or due to repetitive movements. In some the exact cause is not found.

Other causes of pain in this area would be arthritis (without inflammation of the bursa), trauma, muscle spasm.

It would good to find the exact cause which would require an assessment by your doctor. This would include physical examination and investigations such as bloods and imaging (eg x rays or hip ultrasound or MRI).

Treatment would depend on the exact cause and severity but may include the following: (1) rest as much as possible or reduce any aggravating movements
(2)use of NSAIDs if you can use these eg ibuprofen, naproxen, celebrex
(3)physiotherapy if it is severe or does not respond to medication and rest
(4)in some persons, depending on the exact cause of the pain, steroid injections may be needed into the area.

Since there is no history of injury and if there is no history of arthritis, then it is possible that the pain is spasm of the muscle since it was sudden in onset

In that case, rest, the NSAID, warm compress to the area, 2 to 3 times daily for 10 to 15 mins and a muscle relaxant- may be helpful

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on